Entries now open!
2 May 2023
Entries for Sydney Craft Week Festival 2023 now open
Festival Dates: Friday 6 October to Sunday 15 October 2023
We are calling for entries from makers, galleries, shops, guilds, libraries, councils and other organisations for exhibitions, workshops and events during and around the festival period.
Festival Director Lisa Cahill said: “This year festival theme is ‘Time.’ Participants are encouraged to reflect on this theme in their event: the time it takes to make, to learn a skill, to understand materials and to build a practice as well as the timeless quality of handmade work."
Be part of Sydney Craft Week, bringing together Sydney’s contemporary craft community in a city-wide festival.
Entry deadline: 23 June 2023
Click here to APPLY NOW
Here are a few tips and pointers to help you prepare:
- Ask yourself: What sort of event would I like to run – digital or in-person? Where will I host my event? What dates will I host the event? Will there be a fee and how will I ticket the event? Who can I collaborate or work with? Who will be my target audience? What is the budget for the event?
- While Sydney Craft Week is held within a ten-day timeframe, we encourage events to fall either side or overlap with Sydney Craft Week: Friday 6 – Sunday 15 October 2023. Do not feel too restricted by the date timeframe. As long as some of your event is held within the ‘week’ or held immediately before or after, then it is eligible for consideration.
- You may need to consider getting public liability insurance for your event. Chat with the venue or get some advice from NAVA or your preferred insurance provider.
- We will be requiring you to send us images to support your event listing. Great photos will entice people to your event so start preparing photos now to make your event truly stand out. Think about composition, lighting and styling when taking your photos.
What does the participation fee cover?
Participation fee is: $83 (includes GST)
The participation fee entitles you to one 150-word listing in the program. This listing could cover multiple events.
Being a participant of the festival means you:
- become part of a wider craft community network,
- are exposed to new audiences,
- are part of a fantastic calendar of events, that draws great media attention.
Your event will be listed in our print program, on our website and in social media. We may additionally feature your event in news stories, EDMs and list your event on external websites.
Besides hosting an event, you can get involved with Sydney Craft Week in many different ways. You may consider:
- Taking an advertisement out in the Sydney Craft Week print program. You can pay for a quarter, half or full page in the guide. The deadline for this is June.
- Donating supplies or services (we are always on the lookout for give-aways as door prizes or workshop supplies, for example).
- Sharing our news and events via your mailing lists and social media (we can provide you with a media pack).
- Distributing Sydney Craft Week guides to participants and venues or stocking them in your shop/ cafe/ business.
- Volunteering for Sydney Craft Week.
Participant information 2023
Fees (all prices include GST):
Participant fee: $83.00
Program advertisement fees
Quarter page: $200.00
Half page $250.00
Full page $300.00
23 June Entry deadline
5 July Participants notified
21 July Final text and images, and advertising artwork sent to ADC for program
15 September Program live
5 October Festival opening event at Australian Design Centre
Festival Dates: Friday 6 to Sunday 15 October 2023
Craft Up Late: Sydney City, Darlinghurst, Surry Hills and Redfern
Tuesday 10 October 5pm–8pm
Craft Up Late: Northern and Eastern Suburbs
Wednesday 11 October 5pm–8pm
Craft Up Late: Inner West
Thursday 12 October 5pm–8pm
Tom images (l-r): Lorrie Evans, Eco Dye Hand Stitch Wearable, 2018. Photo: Gill Brooks. LookDrawPrint-JuliePaterson workshop. Print in progress by Sharon Laycock, 2019. Photo: Julie Paterson.