2020 Entries are now open
With festivals and major events having to cancel across the city and the wider world, we have thought deeply about going ahead with Sydney Craft Week this year. As restrictions are easing we have decided to press ahead.
Sydney Craft Week is a little different in that it is a city-wide festival of smallish events in most places.
We will continue to follow all the NSW Health advice and government restrictions and we hope that by October all events will be possible. We also encourage you to consider ideas for digital events alongside your physical programming. Digital events we can open up to the wider world, particularly where travel restrictions are in place, for the vast numbers of people interested in craft across the globe.
'Change Makers' is our theme for Sydney Craft Week 2020! We think this is so appropriate for the change that we are all dealing with on a daily basis right now.
We are calling for entries from creative makers, galleries, shops, guilds, libraries, councils and other organisations for events during and around the festival period Friday 9 – Sunday 18 October 2020.
Craft and the power of making is vital for all of us and more so now than ever before. Let’s show Sydney (and the world) how critical we are as a creative community driving change at all sorts of levels. Let’s celebrate our aliveness, our creativity, our ideas and our connections by creating a festival that embraces change.
Sydney Craft Week is about celebrating creativity and the handmade in all its forms. This festival creates the opportunity for the whole community to engage with craft, experience the benefits of making, and purchase local handmade work.
Be part of Sydney Craft Week, bringing together Sydney’s contemporary craft community in a city-wide festival.
Entry deadline: 25 June 2020
Festival Dates: Friday 9 – Sunday 18 October 2020
Click here to ENTER NOW
Here are a few tips and pointers to help you prepare:
- Ask yourself: What sort of event would I like to run – digital or in-person? Where will I host my event and is the venue free during Sydney Craft Week? What dates will I host the event? Will there be a fee and how will I ticket the event? Who can I collaborate or work with? Who will be my target audience? What is the budget for the event?
- While Sydney Craft Week is held within a 10 day timeframe, we encourage events to fall either side or overlap with Sydney Craft Week: Friday 9 – Sunday 18 October 2020. Do not feel too restricted by the date timeframe. As long as some of your event is held within the ‘week’ or held immediately before or after, then it is eligible for consideration.
- You may need to consider getting public liability insurance for your event. Chat with the venue or get some advice from NAVA or your preferred insurance provider.
- We will be requiring you to send us images to support your event listing. Great photos will entice people to your event so start preparing photos now to make your event truly stand out. Think about composition, lighting and styling when taking your photos.
What does the participation fee cover?
Participation fee is: $83 inc GST
The participation fee entitles you to one 150 word listing in the program. This listing could cover multiple events.
Being a participant of the festival means you:
- become part of a wider craft community network,
- are exposed to new audiences,
- are part of a fantastic calendar of events, that draws great media attention.
Your event will be listed in our print program, on our website and in social media. We may additionally feature your event in news stories, EDMs and list your event on external websites.
For more information, please contact the Sydney Craft Week team:
Phone: 9361 4555
Images: Left image from Canva. Right image is shop interior, Skein Sisters. Photo by Philip Le Masurier