2021 applications are now open
‘Craft Values’ is our theme for Sydney Craft Week 2021! What do we value about craft and what do we value as craftspeople?
We are calling for entries from makers, galleries, shops, guilds, libraries, councils and other organisations for exhibitions, workshops and events during and around the festival period Friday 8 – Sunday 17 October 2021.
A Message from the Festival Director:
Inherent in craft is value. Craftspeople spend a lifetime seeking to gain mastery of their craft. The objects they make come directly from their hands – they are not made by machine but by people injecting their time, effort, skill and heart into every decision. Every object has a story, the story of the maker, the materials and the place in which it is made. Makers seek to make objects that people can collect, own, use and cherish over a lifetime. Makers seek to make things that are sustainable, made to last, not throwaway and use materials that are sustainable.
It is not design, although it can be. It is not art, although it can be. It is not fashion although it can be. It is not monetary, although it can be, it is the value of human ingenuity and commitment. This the value of craft.
Let’s work together to create our events for Sydney Craft Week 2021 that elevate the value of craft and demonstrate our value as a craft community, an industry that adds value to our culture and to our economy.
Sydney Craft Week is about celebrating creativity and the handmade in all its forms. This festival creates the opportunity for the whole community to engage with craft, experience the benefits of making, and purchase local handmade work.
Be part of Sydney Craft Week, bringing together Sydney’s contemporary craft community in a city-wide festival. Lisa Cahill, Festival Director
Entry deadline: 25 June 2021
Festival Dates: Friday 8 – Sunday 17 October 2021
Click here to APPLY NOW
Here are a few tips and pointers to help you prepare:
- Ask yourself: What sort of event would I like to run – digital or in-person? Where will I host my event and is the venue free during Sydney Craft Week? What dates will I host the event? Will there be a fee and how will I ticket the event? Who can I collaborate or work with? Who will be my target audience? What is the budget for the event?
- While Sydney Craft Week is held within a ten-day timeframe, we encourage events to fall either side or overlap with Sydney Craft Week: Friday 8 – Sunday 17 October 2021. Do not feel too restricted by the date timeframe. As long as some of your event is held within the ‘week’ or held immediately before or after, then it is eligible for consideration.
- You may need to consider getting public liability insurance for your event. Chat with the venue or get some advice from NAVA or your preferred insurance provider.
- We will be requiring you to send us images to support your event listing. Great photos will entice people to your event so start preparing photos now to make your event truly stand out. Think about composition, lighting and styling when taking your photos.
What does the participation fee cover?
Participation fee is: $83 inc GST
The participation fee entitles you to one 150-word listing in the program. This listing could cover multiple events.
Being a participant of the festival means you:
- become part of a wider craft community network,
- are exposed to new audiences,
- are part of a fantastic calendar of events, that draws great media attention.
Your event will be listed in our print program, on our website and in social media. We may additionally feature your event in news stories, EDMs and list your event on external websites.
Participant fee: $83 incl. GST
Program ad fee:
Half page $208 incl. GST
Full page $290 incl. GST
Double page $400 incl. GST
Participant information 2021
Download the Sydney Craft week Participant Information 2021
Download the SCW Sustainability Guide 2021
For more information, please contact the Sydney Craft Week team:
Phone: 02 9361 4555
Image: Tina Fox, Made by Hand, 2019. Photo: Tina Fox.