Applications are now open
Applications are now open for Sydney Craft Week Festival 2022
We are delighted to invite applications for exhibitions, workshops and events during the festival period 7 - 16 October 2022. Makers, craftspeople, galleries, shops, guilds, libraries, councils and other creative practitioners and organisations are eligible to apply.
Sydney Craft Week is about celebrating creativity and the handmade in all its forms. This festival creates the opportunity for the whole community to engage with craft, experience the benefits of making, and purchase local handmade work.
The theme for the 2022 Sydney Craft Week Festival is the climate emergency that the planet faces. Events will focus on sustainable practice and making a difference for the environment.
Festival Director Lisa Cahill said: "This theme focused on the climate emergency is one way that we as creative practitioners can demonstrate leadership in what, how and why we do what we do in our craft forms and how our practices can be adapted for better environmental outcomes".
Applications should reflect on this theme in some way in the event, or the organisation of their event, and incorporate this into their proposal.
Application deadline: 24 June 2022
Festival Dates: Friday - Sunday 7 – 16 October 2022
Applications have now closed.
Here are a few tips and pointers to help you prepare. Ask yourself:
- What sort of event would I like to run – digital or in-person? Where will I host my event and is the venue free during Sydney Craft Week? What dates will my event be? Will there be a fee and how will I ticket the event? Who can I collaborate or work with? Who will be my target audience? What is the budget for the event?
- While Sydney Craft Week is held within a ten-day timeframe, we encourage events to fall either side or overlap with Sydney Craft Week: Friday 7 – Sunday 16 October. Do not feel too restricted by the date timeframe. As long as some of your event is held within the ‘week’ or held immediately before or after, then it is eligible for consideration.
- You may need to consider getting public liability insurance for your event. Chat with the venue or get some advice from NAVA or your preferred insurance provider.
- We will be requiring you to send us images to support your event listing. Great photos will entice people to your event so start preparing photos now to make your event truly stand out. Think about composition, lighting and styling when taking your photos.
What does the participation fee cover?
Participation fee is: $83 (including gst)
The participation fee entitles you to one 150-word listing in the program. This listing could cover multiple events.
Being a participant of the festival means you:
- become part of a wider craft community network
- are exposed to new audiences
- are part of a fantastic calendar of events, that draws great media attention.
Your event will be listed in our print program, on our website and in social media. We may additionally feature your event in news stories, EDMs and list your event on external websites.
Participant fee: $83 (including gst)
Program advertising fee:
Half page $208 (including gst)
Full page $290 (including gst)
Double page $400 (including gst)
24 June Application deadline
8 July Participants notified
22 July Final text and images, and advertising artwork sent to ADC for program
16 September Program live
7-16 October Festival
Craft Up Late: Sydney City, Darlinghurst, Surry Hills and Redfern
Tuesday 11 October 5pm – 8pm
Craft Up Late: Northern and Eastern Suburbs
Wednesday 12 October 5pm – 8pm
Craft Up Late: Inner West
Thursday 13 October 5pm – 8pm
Images (L-R): Bic Tieu, Thresholds (detail), 2019-2020. Photo: Courtesy of the Artist. Tegan Murdock, aka Ngumpie Weaving and Koskela Social Impact Coordinator, Zoe, 2020. Photo: Koskela.