Getting ready for Sydney Craft Week 2022
Heading into its sixth year, Sydney Craft Week, returns 7 to 16 October 2022 with a focus on sustainable practice and channeling creativity to think more deeply about climate change.
Festival Director Lisa Cahill said: "This theme, focused on the climate emergency, is one way that we as creative practitioners can demonstrate leadership in what, how and why we do what we do in our craft forms and how our practices can be adapted for better environmental outcomes".
In 2022 Sydney Craft Week Festival participants are asked to reflect on the theme through their work in terms of content and/or how sustainable event management practices are incorporated.
Now’s the time to start thinking about your events and exhibitions for the 2022 festival. Looking to be inspired? Check out the below articles and resources.
News Articles and Inspiration sources
Sydney Craft Week (AUS)
Resources and Information
The Australian Climate Council
Julie’s Bicycle (UK)
The Bower Reuse and Repair Centre (NSW)
Reverse Garbage (NSW)
Planet Ark Materials Recycling
Australian Government Sustainable Procurement Guide
Do you have a great resource or inspiring article we could add to the list above? Contact the Sydney Craft Week team below and let us know.
Here are a few other tips and pointers to help you prepare. Ask yourself:
- How can I incorporate this year's Sydney Craft Week theme into what I would like to offer?
- What sort of event would I like to run – digital or in-person? Where will I host my event and is the venue free during Sydney Craft Week? What dates will I host the event? Will there be a fee and how will I ticket the event? Who can I collaborate or work with? Who will be my target audience? What is the budget for the event?
- While Sydney Craft Week is held within a ten-day timeframe, we encourage events to fall either side or overlap with Sydney Craft Week: Friday 7 – Sunday 16 October 2022. Do not feel too restricted by the date timeframe. As long as some of your event is held within the ‘week’ or held immediately before or after, then it is eligible for consideration.
- You may need to consider getting public liability insurance for your event. Chat with the venue or get some advice from NAVA or your preferred insurance provider.
- We will be requiring you to send us images to support your event listing. Great photos will entice people to your event so start preparing photos now to make your event truly stand out. Think about composition, lighting and styling when taking your photos.
Application deadline: 24 June 2022
Festival Dates: Friday 7 – Sunday 16 October 2022
Click here to APPLY NOW
For more information, please contact the Sydney Craft Week team:
Images (l-r): Materials preparation for Commuter Craft, 2019. Photo: Chyrstie Longworth. Eramboo RAW Experimental Textile Masterclass, Sue Pedley, Sydney Craft Week 2018. Photo: Eramboo